Employment Support Overview
Supporting our learners to progress into and within work is at the heart of our offer as a College. Not only do we embed employability and personal development skills support into all of our accredited courses, we also work with agencies such as Job Centre Plus and other employment support services to provide bespoke support.
We offer specific courses that are designed to prepare those out of work for job hunting. This includes developing their knowledge and skills to actively promote themselves to employers, complete outstanding applications and ace an interview!
We are working with a growing number of employers who are looking for work experience trainees with the possibility of an apprenticeship at the end of the course. Our employer engagement links could help you to find and secure your next job move.
Our offer to you:
- Courses to develop your employment prospects and confidence; Step into Employment and L1 Introduction to Customer Service as well as our complete range of courses on offer.
- Access to a range of work experience placements within Reading Borough Council and wider employers around Reading and central Berkshire
- Facilities and use of ICT to search and apply for jobs
- Additional learning support
- Help with the cost of childcare while you study
- Help with the cost of course and college related expenses
Interview Skills Programme
This is an accredited employability programme which is designed to support individuals who are currently looking for work. The programme covers different interview settings, tailoring your CV, transferable skills and all aspects of the job search process. The sessions will take place at New Directions College.
- From 9th October 2023 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- From 11th December 2023 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- From 18th March 2024 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- From Monday 20th May 2024 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
CV Writing and Career Planning Workshops
This course is a short, intensive programme designed to help learners write an effective CV and personal statement, investigate and assess potential career options and plan a career through setting appropriate career goals. The course will cover a variety of topics, including:
- Job search skills
- Career exploration
- Career planning
- Workplace safety
- Self-reflection and transferable skills
The course will be delivered at New Directions College South, Southcote Community Hub and Reading Community Learning Centre.
Starting at New Directions College:
- From Tuesday 3rd October 2023 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- From Monday 4th December 2023 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- From Monday 11th March 2024 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- From Monday 13th May 2024 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- From Thursday 27th June 2024 at 9:30 – 13:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays only
Starting at Reading Community Learning Centre:
- From Thursday 23rd November 2023 at 9:30 – 12:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays only
- From Tuesday 12th March 2024 at 9:30 – 12:30 on on Tuesdays and Thursdays only
Starting at Southcote Community Hub:
- From Wednesday 22nd November 2023 at 9:30 – 12:30 on Wednesdays and Fridays
The Careers Hub operates on Thursdays and Fridays, in between 10am and 3pm, and it will give you the opportunity to:
- Find out about local job opportunities available
- Receive support applying for jobs
- Use the computers for job search for up to 2 hours
- Receive advice on interview techniques
- Receive tips to enhance your CV
- Find new ways to effectively job search
- Receive advice on developing your skills for work
Our aim is to provide information and advice to anyone over the age of 19 who is actively looking for: full or part-time employment, volunteering opportunities, Apprenticeships, further learning, work experience or work placement.
To book your 2 hours appointment slot with our experienced advisor please contact email@example.com or call 0345 842 0012
National Careers Service
For information and advice on learning, training and work you can book an appointment with Adviza. Phone 0800 100 900 to book an appointment.
Online Job Search Resources
Berkshire Opportunities is a one-stop-shop digital service for benefit of the Berkshire workforce. Led by the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership, students, employers, schools, colleges and residents, wanting to upskill or find a career, are able to explore all the resources they require to understand the career opportunities and pathways available in the area. This platform aims to signpost you to useful resources, careers and employability advice and important information about Berkshire’s economy.
Berkshire Opportunities is the premier gateway in the area to find out about:
- career options
- local courses
- live vacancies
- understand more about the sectors who are still recruiting and those who are likely to recover most quickly.
The Government have launched the Skills Toolkit which is a set of online tools to support individuals looking for work. You can access the Skills Toolkit here.
The Skills Toolkit also offers Free courses to help you learn new skills or get a new job.
- practical maths
- computer essentials
- personal growth and wellbeing
- professional development
- business and finance
- digital design and marketing
- computer science and coding
The National Careers Service also offers a range of online support and guidance: