At New Directions College we offer a range of accredited Business Management courses. We work with the Institute for Leadership and Management to accredit all of our programmes. Our Tutors are highly experienced business leaders, with significant industry experience.
Most of our Business Management courses are work-based qualifications and so you will need to be employed or working voluntarily in a business management role to achieve the full qualification. You can study these qualifications independently or as part of an Apprenticeship standard.
Learning will take place through classroom based and/or online workshops. You will have access to a virtual learning environment where you can access tools and resources for your course and submit and receive feedback on your coursework and assignments. Your Tutor will also need to assess your occupational competence within the workplace and so you and your line Manager should be prepared for this.
L1 Award in Book-keeping and Accounts (day)
This award will cover a range of topics, from basic book-keeping practices to the recording and interpretation of complex financial transactions. Sessions will take place online and at New Directions College South.
- Friday 23rd September 2022 9:30 – 13:00
- Thursday 9th March 2023 at 9:30 – 13:00
Course fee: This course may be free depending on your personal circumstances. Please contact us.
L2 Foundation Certificate in Book-keeping and Accounts (day)
The purpose of the AAT Foundation Certificate in Book-keeping is to ensure that learners have the solid book-keeping skills necessary for most finance roles. Learners will gain the knowledge and skills needed to carry out typical book-keeping transactions and tasks in two mandatory units: Book-keeping Transactions and Book-keeping Controls
A learner completing this qualification will develop practical accountancy skills in the double-entry book-keeping system and in using associated documents and processes. Learners will be able to check transactions for accuracy, make entries in appropriate books and ledgers, and calculate sales invoices and credit notes. They will also cover more complex Foundation level book-keeping procedures, including dealing with VAT, reconciliation and trial balances, and will develop their understanding of the relationship between the various accounting records.
It is good practice for learners to work with employers while studying. This could include work experience or placements, working on projects or exercises set or supervised by those working in the industry, or by attending masterclasses or guest lectures by people working in accounting. Sessions to be held online and at New Directions College South.
Starting: Friday 3rd February 2023 at 9:30 – 14:00
Course fee: This course may be free of charge depending on your personal circumstances. Please contact us.
L2 Certificate in Creating a Business Start-up (online)
Starting your own business can be exciting, but it’s important to be fully aware of the initial processes and requirements of a business start-up. If you’re looking to start your own business, the level 2 Certificate in Creating a Business Start-Up will help you to explore business ideas and select the most appropriate option to develop them. You will learn how to develop and progress your business plan, so that you can fully understand your target market. The course will also teach you about marketing your business and the important legal and financial requirements you have to follow.
Starting: this is an online distance learning programme and can be started at any time. Please apply using the link above.
Course fee: The course may be free depending on your personal circumstances. Please contact us.
Level 1 Managing Your Money
Managing your personal finances and making decisions about money is an important part of everyday life. This course is designed to help you understand and make the most of your personal finances, including the different financial products and services available, borrowing money and saving money.
Starting: This course runs online and on demand. Contact us to find out more.
L3 Diploma in Leadership and Management
This qualification is ideal if you are have management responsibilities but no formal training, and are serious about developing your abilities. It’s particularly suited to practising team leaders seeking to move up to the next level of management, and managers who need to lead people through organisational change, budget cuts or other pressures.
Results for you
- Gain a range of key management skills
- Put new skills into practice in your own role
- Build your leadership capabilities
- Motivate and engage teams, manage relationships confidently
- Develop your leadership skills using your own knowledge, values and motivations.
Impact for your employer
- Effective and confident first-line managers
- Better relationships and communication in teams
- Measurable results: workplace-based assessment ensures new skills are effectively transferred to your business
- A broad range of optional units – qualification can be tailored to your organisation’s learning and development needs.
Focus on the skills you need
You can take this qualification as a concise Award, a broader Certificate or a comprehensive Diploma. The units in this qualification fall into seven broad areas. These are:
- core management skills – such as understanding how to organise and delegate
- ability to perform management tasks –manage projects, lead meetings
- team leadership – for example, how to motivate people to improve performance
- change and innovation – plan and manage change, create a culture of innovation
- a full range of communications skills
- managing people and relationships – negotiation, networking, building relationships
- leadership – understand leadership, use action learning to develop your leadership capabilities.
Full qualification details can be found here.
Starting: Friday 27th January 2023. Sessions to be held online and through classroom based workshops at New Directions College South. You will have full access to a virtual learning environment and e-portfolio to submit your work.
Course fee: this course could be free of charge if you do not yet have a full L3 qualification. Please speak to us to find out about eligibility for discounts. The full fee for the Diploma is £1987 which you can fund through an Advanced Learning Loan if eligible.
L5 Leadership and Management Award, Certificate and Diploma
This qualification is designed for project managers, department heads, and other practising middle managers. Develop your skills and experience, improve your performance and prepare for senior management responsibilities.
Results for you
- Use core management techniques to drive better results
- Develop your ability to lead, motivate and inspire
- Provide strategic leadership as well as day-to-day management
- Benchmark your managerial skills
- Raise your profile in your organisation.
Impact for your employer
- Encourage strategic thinking at this level of management, to foster business improvement
- Engage middle managers with training and development – this qualification is designed to provide clear, measurable benefits to career-minded professionals
- Customise this qualification to your development needs.
Focus on the skills you need
This qualification is available as a concise Award, a broader Certificate or a very comprehensive Diploma. Each unit in this qualification focuses on a specific set of skills and knowledge, in six broad areas:
- Working with people – a range of units including how to deal effectively with stress and conflict, manage remote workers, build excellent customer relations
- Managing yourself and personal skills – including units that focus on assessing your own leadership performance, and developing critical thinking
- Providing direction – such as leading teams to achieve organisational goals and objectives, and making strong and informed management decisions.
- Facilitating innovation and change – for example, build a culture of continued improvement, and lead people through change
- Achieving results – such as managing for efficiency and effectiveness, and managing projects that get results
- Using resources – including managing facilities and managing information.
Full qualification information can be found here.
Starting: Various dates throughout the academic year. Sessions to be held online and through classroom based workshops. You will have full access to a virtual learning environment and e-portfolio to submit your work.
Course fee: Award £193, Certificate £361 and Diploma £836
Our management apprenticeships are designed to create a more qualified and better trained workforce. We currently offer apprenticeships for the Level 3 Team Leader/Supervisor apprenticeship and Level 5 Operations/Departmental Manager apprenticeship.