Employment Support Overview
Supporting our learners to progress into and within work is at the heart of our offer as a College. Not only do we embed employability and personal development skills support into all of our accredited courses, we also work with agencies such as Job Centre Plus and other employment support services to provide bespoke support.
We also offer specific courses that are designed to prepare those out of work for job hunting. This includes developing their knowledge and skills to actively promote themselves to employers, complete outstanding applications and ace an interview!
We are working with a growing number of employers who are looking for work experience trainees with the possibility of an apprenticeship at the end of the course. Our employer engagement links could help you to find and secure your next job move.
Our offer to you:
- Courses to develop your employment prospects and confidence; Step into Employment and L1 Introduction to Customer Service as well as our complete range of courses on offer.
- Access to a range of work experience placements within Reading Borough Council and wider employers around Reading and central Berkshire
- Facilities and use of ICT to search and apply for jobs
- Additional learning support
- Help with the cost of childcare while you study
- Help with the cost of course and college related expenses
Interview Skills Programme
This is an accredited employability programme which is designed to support individuals who are currently looking for work. The programme covers different interview settings, tailoring your CV, transferable skills and all aspects of the job search process. The sessions will take place at New Directions College.
- From 9th October 2023 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- From 11th December 2023 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- From 18th March 2024 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- From Monday 20th May 2024 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
CV Writing and Career Planning Workshops
This course is a short, intensive programme designed to help learners write an effective CV and personal statement, investigate and assess potential career options and plan a career through setting appropriate career goals. The course will cover a variety of topics, including:
- Job search skills
- Career exploration
- Career planning
- Workplace safety
- Self-reflection and transferable skills
The course will be delivered at New Directions College South, Southcote Community Hub and Reading Community Learning Centre.
Starting at New Directions College:
- From Tuesday 3rd October 2023 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- From Monday 4th December 2023 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- From Monday 11th March 2024 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- From Monday 13th May 2024 at 9:30 – 15:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- From Thursday 27th June 2024 at 9:30 – 13:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays only
Starting at Reading Community Learning Centre:
- From Thursday 23rd November 2023 at 9:30 – 12:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays only
- From Tuesday 12th March 2024 at 9:30 – 12:30 on on Tuesdays and Thursdays only
Starting at Southcote Community Hub:
- From Wednesday 22nd November 2023 at 9:30 – 12:30 on Wednesdays and Fridays