Traineeships for 19-24* year olds
Our traineeship programme is a free skills development programme for 19-25* year olds that includes a work placement at Reading Borough Council or with another local employer. It can last from 6 weeks to 12 weeks. The programme is designed to prepare you for an Apprenticeship or progression into work.
Our Traineeships help 19 to 24 year olds and those up to the age of 25 *with an education, health and care (EHC) plan – get ready for an apprenticeship or job if they don’t have the appropriate skills or experience.
Who can apply
You can apply for a traineeship at New Directions College if you’re:
- eligible to work in England
- have little or no work experience but are motivated to work
- aged 19 to 24 – or 25 with an EHC plan – and qualified up to level 3
What a traineeship includes
Traineeships are free of charge and we may also be able to help with costs of travel and childcare.
From New Directions College you will receive:
- training to prepare you for work, including CV writing and what to expect in the workplace
- support to improve your English, maths and digital skills if you need it
- sector focused vocational learning to help prepare you for your apprenticeship or job and recognition of your learning
- support from your local Jobcentre Plus if you are eligible for work benefits
From your work placement you will receive:
- a high-quality work placement of at least 70 hours
- an interview for an apprenticeship or job if available, or an exit interview with written feedback
Programmes will be tailored to meet your needs and prepare you for what local businesses are looking for.
A traineeship is a training programme and isn’t a job. Employers are not required to pay you for the work placement, but they can support you with expenses such as transport and meals.
If you are eligible, you can maintain your entitlement to benefits whilst on a traineeship as necessary.
Along with recognition of your learning, there will be support to link you with job opportunities.
An apprenticeship is a job and a full-time work-based learning programme that combines accredited learning with paid work. It gives you the opportunity to study towards a nationally recognised qualification, whilst gaining real work experience. By the end of the programme you will have acquired the skills, knowledge and experiences, as well as a relevant qualification, to perform a skilled role.
Anyone over the age of 16 can do an apprenticeship and there is no upper age limit. In order for you to access an apprenticeship, you must first secure the apprenticeship job role via normal recruitment channels. New Directions College can then work with you and your employer to match the required accredited training and development to meet your needs.
You can search the national database of available apprenticeships here:
There are four levels of Apprenticeship:
New Directions College currently deliver Apprenticeship standards from Intermediate level through to Higher levels in the following occupations:
- L2 Early Years Practitioner
- L3 Public Service Operational Delivery Officer
- L3 Team Leader/Supervisor
- L3 Business Administration
- L3 Customer Service Practitioner
- L3 Early Years Educator
- L5 Operations or Department Manager
Please click on the links above to access further information about the Apprenticeship standard on the Institute for Apprenticeships website.
Our range of Apprenticeship standards is growing all the time. If you are interested in participating in one of the Apprenticeships listed above, you should firstly secure an apprenticeship with an employer. You can search the national apprenticeship service vacancy website here: Find an apprenticeship – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
If the college is working with an employer who has a current apprenticeship vacancy, we will post them here too on our website. In addition, we recommend you visit the Reading Borough Council website to see if there are any current Apprenticeship vacancies available for you to apply for.
If you are already working and you and your employer would like you to undertake any of the Apprenticeship standards listed above, please contact us so that we can tailor a programme to meet your needs.
Our Apprenticeships and Vocational Curriculum Manager is Besmir Baxha. You can contact Bes on email@example.com or call 07929 787 697