Accessibility Statement for New Directions College website
New Directions College is committed to ensuring digital accessibility for everyone, including people with disabilities. We are continually improving the user experience for everyone, and applying the relevant accessibility standards.
Measures to support accessibility
New Directions College takes the following measures to ensure accessibility of New Directions College website:
- Include accessibility as part of our mission statement.
- Employ formal accessibility quality assurance methods.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA. New Directions College website is partially conformant with WCAG 2.1 Level AA. Partially conformant means that some parts of the content do not fully conform to the accessibility standard.
A programme of work is underway to ensure all content on this website is compliant to WCAG 2.1 Level AAA.
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of New Directions College website. Please let us know if you encounter accessibility barriers on New Directions College website:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technology
We are currently working on our compatibility with browsers and assistive technology.
Limitations and alternatives
Despite our best efforts to ensure accessibility of New Directions College website, there may be some limitations. Below is a description of known limitations, and potential solutions. Please contact us if you observe an issue not listed below.
Known limitations for New Directions College website:
- PDF documents: Historical PDFs do not meet accessibility standards. Due to lack of resources available we have decided we cannot rebuild these old PDFs to make them accessible. We will do our best to ensure any PDFs added to the website in the future are accessible. We are reviewing existing PDFs on the website and will replace with an accessible alternative. There may be times when we leave an inaccessible PDF on the website, in which case we will ensure we also include the information in html format.
- Downloadable documents: MS Word or Excel documents that are non-compliant. Some forms are only available as a Word document to be downloaded, printed and sent in. Much information created by services in the college is produced in one of these formats and has been added to the website in the same format. We are trying to provide an online, accessible, version of every form and are working with services to find different ways to share information.
- Google Maps: Maps may not have relevant heading or a description of the map’s purpose. We are reviewing all content with maps to make sure they are accessible.
- Videos: Embedded videos may not have BSL, captions or transcripts. We are reviewing existing videos to ensure they are accessible. We are working on making sure all future videos are compliant.
- iFrames: No guarantee that iFrame is accessible because it may be a third-party product that we have no control over. We are reviewing existing iFrames and replacing with an accessible alternative where possible.
- Tables: A few tables may not be accessible. Some tables may not have been given relevant titles, or column or row headings. We are reviewing existing tables to ensure they are accessible. We are creating all new tables using strict guidelines for accessibility.
Please contact us if you encounter an issues regarding any of the above limitations.
New Directions College assessed the accessibility of New Directions College website by the following approaches:
This statement was created on 23 July 2020 using the W3C Accessibility Statement Generator Tool.